Ricky Hatton told to quit booze if he's to fight Manny Pacquiao

December 9, 2008 ·

Gallery image 1

Ricky Hatton has been warned his boozy lifestyle will cost him if he fights Manny Pacquiao.

The Hitman is being lined up to face the Pac Man after the Filipino destroyed Oscar De La Hoya to end his hopes of a £40million showdown with the Mancunian at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium in May.

And Pacquiao's trainer Freddie Roach claims Hatton must stop drinking if he is going to have any chance of avoiding De La Hoya's fate.

Roach's own promising career went off the rails and the American feels Hatton's antics will cut short his time in the ring.

"Hatton-Pacquiao for me would be a great fight and I know Manny is itching to fight him," said Los Angelesbased Roach, who also trains Amir Khan. "Hatton seems a nice guy, but I can't agree with his drinking. How long is it before living in the fast lane has an effect on fighters?

"I was 27-1 and thought I was a pretty good fighter when I broke my hand. Then it was easy to blame my hand on my career going the other way, but I now know it was because I was chasing girls and drinking."

Pacquiao's adviser Joe Ramos claims the May showdown will be spectacular.

"It would be an amazing fight at 140lbs," he said. "If not in the UK, then let's go to the Philippines."

Carl Froch is also looking at a huge fight in 2009 and the newly-crowned WBC super-middleweight king is eyeing up the former undisputed middleweight champion Jermaine Taylor.

But promoter Mick Hennessy warned: "He's Carl's mandatory challenger, but it already looks like he's heading for the exit signs."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe for Free

Subscribe to BOXING UNLIMITED by Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribers

SHOUT OUT

SHOUT OUT
Create a Meebo Chat Room
web design company
software.

Online Users

Followers