De La Hoya’s Training Dilemma

September 17, 2008 ·

With less than three months to go until Oscar De La Hoya faces Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas the ‘Golden Boy’ is still without a trainer.

Ideally Oscar would prefer Floyd Mayweather Snr to prepare him for his December 6 clash with pound for pound king Pacquiao. But with Mayweather Snr already committed to training Britain’s Ricky Hatton for his clash with Paulie Malignaggi on November 22 it is highly unlikely Mayweather Snr will be able to train both men.

Speaking to ESPN.com De La Hoya said: "There is no decision on who the trainer is going to be. We’ll be making a decision in the next couple of days."

However, De La Hoya also told ESPN.com he would be happy to train alongside Ricky with Mayweather Snr in charge.
"I wouldn’t mind sharing Floyd. Floyd Sr. is worth sharing if that is what it takes," De La Hoya said. "If it can’t be worked out, I’m going to move on and get another trainer. It’s going to take a call from me directly to Ricky and say, ’Hey, what do you think? Can we work something out?’ I think it’s still possible. But the time is coming where I have to make a decision and that decision has to be made in a few days."

Mayweather Snr is also receptive to the idea providing both Men are prepared to train for their respective fights at Big Bear in California.

"Of course, I can’t be in two places at one time," Mayweather Sr. told ESPN.com. "I would love to train Oscar. But I did make a commitment to Ricky. I am not a person to make a commitment and back out. If I give you my word, it is my bond. I am hoping some kind of way I can get Ricky to come to Big Bear and train. I could train both of them."

If a solution cannot be worked out De La Hoya named Nacho Beristain, Jesus Rivero or Rudy Perez as possible replacements.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe for Free

Subscribe to BOXING UNLIMITED by Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Subscribers

SHOUT OUT

SHOUT OUT
Create a Meebo Chat Room
web design company
software.

Online Users

Followers